Expert in: Ethical naturalism
- Greek philosophy
- Hellenistic and Roman philosophy
- Ancient ethics and psychology
- Ethical naturalism
- History of ancient philosophy
- Greco-Roman antiquity
- Political philosophy
My main research interests lie in the fields of ancient ethics and psychology, and extend into Hellenistic and Roman philosophy. They are divided into 2 main areas:
- The future of what commentators call moral intellectualism in ancient morals and the so-called akrasia question. My work deals with the dysfunctions of practical rationality and the introduction and development of a vocabulary (prohairèsis, boulèsis/voluntas, hexis/habitus, propatheia, etc.) for thinking about the different modalities of non-virtuous human action.
- Re-evaluation of the concept of naturalism in the field of ancient ethics.